A brand new 4K restoration of Park Chan-wook's modern classic. Back in UK cinemas from August 2.
STANDARD DVD EDITION
Often cited as one of the best films of the 2000s and possibly the definitive example of extreme Asian cinema, Oldboy is a brutal, lyrical modern classic of the revenge genre.
Based on the Japanese manga of the same name, the film tells the horrific tale of Oh Dae-su (Choi Min-sik), a businessman who is inexplicably kidnapped and imprisoned in a grim hotel room-like cell for 15 years, without knowing his captor or the reason for his incarceration. Eventually released, he learns of his wife’s murder and embarks on a quest for revenge whilst also striking up a romance with a young, attractive sushi chef, Mi-do (Kang Hye-jung). He eventually finds his tormentor, but their final encounter will yield yet more unimaginable horrors...
Directed with immense flair by Park Chan-wook (The Handmaiden) as the second instalment of his Vengeance Trilogy, Oldboy blazed a trail at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival where it was lauded by the President of the Jury, director Quentin Tarantino. The film went on to become a huge international smash, blowing audiences minds with its concoction of filmmaking virtuosity, ingenious plotting, pathos and violence. Now, this masterpiece has been newly remastered and is presented here with an array of extras.
DVD SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new restoration from the original camera negative supervised by director Park Chan-wook
• Standard Definition presentation
• Original 5.1 surround sound and 2.0 stereo
• Original Korean and English soundtracks
• Newly translated, optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Korean soundtrack
• Audio commentary with director Park Chan-wook
• Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook and cinematographer Jung Jung-hoon
• Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook, and actors Choi Min-sik, Yu Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung
• New audio commentary with critic Jasper Sharp and writer Simon Ward
• Out of the Past, new video appreciation by Asian film expert Tony Rayns
• Behind the scenes featurettes
• Extensive cast and crew interviews
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson